Curacao is famous for its magnificent beaches tucked in coves, lush coral reefs, and rich marine life. Travelers from many parts of the world visit Curacao to have a relaxing holiday away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Curacao is a country within the Kingdom of Netherlands and is an island that is located in the Caribbean Sea. Though the country of Curacao and neighboring islands are physiographically a part of the South American continent, it is generally considered to constitute the southwestern arc of the Lesser Antilles that is under the jurisdiction of the Kingdom of Netherlands. The other islands that form the lesser Antilles are Aruba, Sint Maarten and the Caribbean Netherlands (Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, and Saba).
Since 2010, a common visa exists for entry into these Caribbean islands. Hence, one who needs a visa to enter Curacao needs to apply for this Caribbean visa, which also gives entry to the other island territories. However, this visa is not valid to travel to the Schengen part (European part) of the Netherlands.
This article will give you details about the types of visas for Curacao, the Curacao visa requirements, and briefs you on who needs to enter Curacao, among other particulars. Do I need a visa to go to Curacao is a common doubt among tourists, especially people with a Schengen visa.
Here are some frequently asked questions among tourists aspiring to apply for a visa for Curacao.
Do I need a visa to go to Curacao?
Ideally, you are required to obtain a Caribbean visa for Curacao unless you are from a visa-exempted country. If a visa is needed, you must submit your Curacao visa application at least one month before your travel to Curacao.
According to the Curacao visa policy, a standard Caribbean visa is a multiple entry visa. It allows you to enter and stay in all of the six island territories, including Curacao, for a maximum period of 90 days within 180 days. However, you are permitted to live consecutively for only 30 days in the island country, even if your visa stay duration is for 90 days.
However, you can visit and stay in the country without a visa for Curacao if you fulfill certain requirements. These include:
• Having a valid multiple-entry Schengen visa
• Having valid residence permit to Overseas Netherlands
• Travelers with a residence permit or multiple entry visa for Ireland or the United Kingdom.
• Travelers with a valid residence permit of Canada or the US.
• Valid multiple-entry visa for the USA or Canada; applicable to Bolivia, China, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Venezuela nationals.
Dutch and US travelers can stay in the country of Curacao. And they are permitted to live in the country without a visa for up to 180 days within a year.
People who don’t meet the above-mentioned criteria are the ones who need a visa to enter Curacao. So, if you are thinking do I need a visa to go to Curacao, then make sure to check out these points mentioned above. You can apply for a Curacao visa online, as described later in the article. Let's take a look at the types of visa for Curacao next.
Types of visa for Curacao
According to the Curacao visa policy, there are broadly two types of visas for Curacao:
• Short term visa/Curacao tourist visa
• Long term visa
Short term visa or Curacao tourist visa
Short term visa needs to be applied by one who needs a visa to enter Curacao and stay for a short period. This can be for purposes of leisure/ tourism, business trips, visiting family or friends, or any other non-permanent distinctions.
The Curacao tourist visa is a multiple entry visa with a validity of 90 days and can be used within 180 days. However, you are not allowed to work while during your stay in Curacao with this visa.
Long term visa
Curacao is a place that has more to offer than just a temporary abode to your days of enjoyment. Since recently, the Curacao visa policy has introduced its "@ home in Curacao" program, which allows people, especially remote workers, to stay and work in Curacao for a long time.
Traditionally, you have to submit a Curacao visa application for a residence permit if you intend to stay for more than 90 days. As mentioned earlier, Dutch and US nationals can stay for up to 180 days without a visa. This Curacao visa application can be submitted only if you have a sponsor within the country to apply on behalf of you. This can either be employer or spouse. Also, you will need to apply for a separate work permit application if you wish to work during your stay in the country.
Recently, the government has introduced a Curacao digital nomad visa that is perfect for one who needs a visa to enter Curacao on a long term to work and stay. This long-term visa will allow you to stay in the country for 6 months and can be additionally extended to 6 months if needed. Curacao digital nomad visa will cost you around USD 294. You can get this Curacao visa online, submitting a Curacao visa application form at the official website. Remote Workers - At Home in Curacao (athomeinCuracao.com)
However, you have to fulfill the following Curacao visa requirements to be eligible for this visa
• You have to be a digital nomad.
• Your work is location-independent and can be carried out with the help of telecommunication technologies.
• Your employer is in a foreign country.
• You conduct business activities for a company that is registered in a foreign country
• You are offering freelancing services to clients in Curacao.
• You are making substantial financial income to support your family in Curacao
The Curacao digital nomad visa is also suitable for retirees and investors who look to spend their days in a nature-backed atmosphere and ambiance.
Curacao visa requirements
Certain basic documents are required for both long-term or short-term Curacao visa applications. Tourists coming to Curacao must have:
• A valid passport (not more than 10 years old)
• A photograph that is not older than 6 months
• Valid ID card or residence permit from your country of residence that has a minimum validity of 3 months
• Proof of itinerary that shows return to your country of departure or to another country (in cases of transit)
• Proof of stay in the country of Curacao. This can either be a hotel reservation or an invitation to stay with friends or family.
• If for occupation, you must provide a letter from the employer/ sponsor. The letter must include details regarding the work position, salary, valid trade license copies, and a letter from the university is needed if you are a student.
• Proof of finance to cover your stay and other expenses during the stay
• Valid medical insurance or travel insurance that covers all medical expenses. This insurance should provide coverage for medical care, including hospital care, repatriation (in case of death), or emergency treatment.
• No record of threat to public health, national safety, or international relations.
• Proof of vaccination for yellow fever (if you are arriving from an area that is at risk of yellow fever.
How to apply for a Curacao visa online?
The Curacao e visa is launched in place of the Embarkation and Disembarkation (ED card) on the plane to Curacao. The Curacao e visa or the Digital Immigration Card is an online authorization that allows you to enter the country of Curacao. The Curacao e visa has a validity of up to 90 days and can be used for tourism, business, or private purposes. You can stay for up to a maximum of 180 days in a year.
You can fill in the Curacao visa application form at the website. Curacao Entry Portal (dicardCuracao.com)
Make sure to keep an electronic copy of all the documents that need to be uploaded along with the application.
Make payment for the visa
You will receive the Curacao visa online to your registered email within a few days.
Here are some points to remember before submitting the Curacao visa application form.
• When applying for a visa at the Netherlands diplomatic missions / embassies / consulates, make sure to take a printed copy of the filled-in application form.
• Curacao is not part of the Schengen Area, and hence, any type of Curacao visa will not give you access to Netherlands' region.
• You will get only a duration of 30 minutes to fill out the visa application form.