Each year millions of tourists travel to Thailand. Although the main attractions for tourists are nature, temples, historical places, and local cuisine, thousands of people choose Thailand for education. Today, there are more than 20000 international students in the country. They have been continuing their education in various levels of study. If you want to be one of them and look for information, you are in the correct place. In this blog, you will find priceless details about Thailand's Student Visa.
- How long can you live in Thailand with Student Visa?
- What is Student Visa for Thailand?
Before starting to talk about visas for education, let's get a general view of the visa policy of Thailand. The government offers various types of visas to foreign nationalities. Each visa type has its own terms, and the applicant must fit them to travel to Thailand.
- Non-immigrant Visa. People who want to work, study or get married can apply for one of the subcategories of a Non-immigrant Visa. Although all of these purposes are under the same category, each of them has unique terms and conditions.
- Smart Visa. Skilled workers, entrepreneurs, people who graduated and worked in one of the high technology specializations are eligible for a Smart Visa.
- Visa on Arrival. It is a type of temporary visa that foreigners can apply for online. Today, 18 countries are eligible for application. Visitors will get an email from the embassy at the end of the application procedure (confirm or refuse). Finally, when they arrive in Thailand will enter from one of these entry ports: Suvarnabhumi International Airport, Don Mueang International Airport, Chiang Mai International Airport, and Phuket International Airport.
- Tourist Visa. If you are not eligible for E-visa on Arrival, you can apply for a standard tourist visa. Unlike E-visa on Arrival, you will apply in an embassy, consulate, or visa application center.
- Residence permit.
- Transit Visa. Applicants should obtain a transit visa if: the applicant will leave the international airport area or stay for several days at the airport.
You can find thorough information about the visa types of Thailand on the 'Services' section of our website.
Thailand Student Visa
What is student visa for Thailand? It is a visa that allows international students to travel and study in the country. To make the visa application, you should receive an acceptance letter from one of the institutions in Thailand. How long can you live in Thailand with student visa? A student visa is valid for a maximum of three months, but your education will last more than 90 days. What about 1 year student visa Thailand? You should apply for an extension after every three months. Through that way, you will obtain one year student visa Thailand.
How to get a visa?
To get a visa, you should finish several steps. Firstly, you need to contact the embassy or consulate where you will make your visa application. You can learn working hours and other details through the website or by calling. Secondly, you will make an appointment and begin to collect the required documents. The following steps are submitting documents, paying the visa fee, and waiting for the processing. In the end, you will be called by the embassy, and you will learn the result of the application.
Student visa requirements for Thailand
Only the applicants who fit all the student visa requirements for Thailand will be able to obtain a visa. As I mentioned above, the first term is getting an acceptance letter. Followingly, the documentation process will start. You will present these documents during the application procedure:
- Application form. Each applicant must complete in English, sign and date the form.
- Passport. Your documents should be taken within ten years, must have at least 180 days beyond the arrival date, should have a minimum of two free pages for the visa stamp, and be signed by the holder.
- Photos. They should be taken within the last six months; the face must cover 70-80 % of the image, in 4x6 size, on a white background. Avoid clothes witch can match the background.
- A copy of the Identity Card
- Copy of visa or Residence permit (In the cases of different residence and citizenship)
- Photocopies of the main page of the passport, previous visas, and the visa for the last destination
- Travel itinerary. You will provide flight ticket reservation and booking details of accommodation (name of the place, city, street, zip code, booking reference, contact information)
- Evidence of occupation. You will need to provide a letter from the sponsor (if you have it) with all details (name, postal address, and contact number).
- Letter from the university
- Evidence of financial means. As you are going to stay in the country, you need to show proof that you have enough money to cover your expenses. Despite self-funding or sponsoring, you should present several documents as a piece of evidence. It can be a bank statement for the last 180 days, cash, sponsorship letter, credit card, etc.
- Copies of corporate documents
- Birth certificate
- Police clearance certificate
- Health insurance. The insurance policy must cover the whole duration of the stay.
Student visa Thailand cost
After providing all documents, you will pay a charge for getting a student visa in Thailand. How much does it cost? Student visa Thailand cost is 65-250 USD for international students (there can be differences depending on the nationality and country of submission). You may be required to pay extra charges, such as the visa application center fee. Moreover, students must pay 58 USD for a visa extension every three months.
It is the last step of the visa application procedure. How long does it take? Getting a student visa in Thailand lasts for 5-20 working days. It may last long related to workload, country of submission, and so on.
After obtaining a Student Visa
If the international student stays in the country for more than three months, he (she) must inform the address at the Immigration Department of Thailand every three months. It is crucial not only for education visas but also for all visa types. People who do not provide their addresses will need to pay a fine (almost 61 USD).
Permission for re-entry
Thailand Student visa has two types: single or multiple entries. A single entry visa does not allow you to leave the country. In that case, you need to apply for a re-entry permit. I want to mention that, the re-entry permit is valid until the end of the visa. For example, consider that you have a visa valid for two months, and you leave the country to travel somewhere else. When you come back, you will not get additional two months. If you stay there for a month and return, you will have a valid visa for a month.
Can I work during my education?
As you know, some countries allow international students to work during their education. Generally, students can work for 20 hours per week. Unfortunately, Thailand doesn't have such kind of law. In Thailand, only the people who have work permits can work. However, plenty of international students do part-time jobs to finance their expenses.
What are the advantages of education in Thailand?
Education in Thailand will bring many advantages and will be an unforgettable experience for you. It is no secret that the main aim of studying abroad is not just getting high education, it is more than it. It is a great chance to learn a new culture, traditions, religion, and so on. During your education, you will get an option to meet people from various parts of the world. Spending time with them will make you understand that we are not so different. Maybe we belong to diverse cultures and religions, but we have many in common. It will be an excellent opportunity to learn a new language. Native speakers will surround you, and it will boost your learning process.
Also, if you have been far away from your family, you will learn what it means to live alone. Everyday challenges will make you stronger and ready for further problems.
Where to study in Thailand?
There are more than 100 universities in Thailand. So, you can easily find a university that matches your plans and dreams. When choosing a university, you should pay attention to several details. Of course, the world rank of the university is crucial, but it is not the only criterion. You should find the best university in your exact field. What are the most popular majors in Thailand? Generally, international students choose these qualifications: business administration, marketing, general management, Thai language, and so on. What is the best university in Thailand? Related to uniRank, the best university in Thailand is Mahidol University in Nakhon Pathom. Other universities that we can add to the list of best institutions are:
- Chulalongkorn University
- Chiang Mai University
- Kasetsart University
- Prince of Songkla University
- Thammasat University
- Khon Kaen University
- Naresuan University
- Srinakharinwirot University
- Asian Institute of Technology