Nepal is an Asian country known for its diverse culture and incredible temples and is home to eight of the top ten tallest mountains globally, including Mount Everest, which is the highest. Apart from hiking Himalayas, there are lots of other great things Nepal can offer to its visitors. It is home to countless temples, and visitors can always be sure of enjoying the diverse Nepal culture, meet new people and shop for the different beautiful handicrafts in the busy markets. You can take a tour to Kathmandu, the country's capital, where you will witness most of Nepal's uniqueness.
However, you will first have to get a visa to enter Nepal. Nepal's government has made it easier for people to apply for Nepal visa. Most foreigners are always eligible to get a Nepal visa immediately they arrive at the Nepal airport or any of the land borders.
This article will take you through some of the things you need to know when applying for a Nepal visa, such as the application process, Nepal visa requirements, types, and fees.
Do I need a visa for Nepal?
Do I need a visa for Nepal? This is one common question amongst most travelers. Any foreign national who is planning to enter Nepal will have to apply for visas except Indian nationals. So, how to apply for Nepal visa? Nationals of the following countries will have to apply for Nepal visa before traveling to Nepal. In contrast, there are Nepal free visa countries where citizens can always get their visas on arrival in Nepal.
Refugees with a travel document.
Types of Nepal Visas
Here are the common via types Nepal government issues to foreign nationals:
- Nepal Tourist Visa: It is issued to all foreigners entering Nepal for leisure or tourism activities
- Nepal Business Visa: It is used for any foreigner entering Nepal for investment or business purposes
- Nepal Transit Visa: It is issued to all foreigners transiting in Nepal for more than 24 hours. They will always be issued with their transit visa on arrival
- Nepal Work Visa: It is issued by the Nepal Department of Immigration when the foreigner has already entered the country using the Nepal tourist visa and has presented all his or her required documents
- Nepal Relationship Visa: It is issued to foreign-born family members Nepalese citizens by the Nepal Department of Immigration
- Nepal Student Visa: It is issued to foreign students interested in pursuing their studies or doing research in Nepal or teachers who will be teaching in Nepal. However, international students will require a recommendation from the Ministry of Education in Nepal, while the teachers will have to get a recommendation from any relevant agency in Nepal Government
Nepal Tourist Visa
Nepal tourist visa is usually provided to foreigners who are traveling for leisure or tourism activities. When you first enter Nepal, regardless of your reasons for traveling, you will always be issued a tourist visa. Depending on your travel to Nepal, you can always change the visa category to match your travel duration and purpose. You will do this from the Nepal Department of Immigration.
For instance, when you intend to work in Nepal, you will use a tourist visa to enter the country, but you can change the visa category from a tourist visa to a Nepal work visa. You will never be allowed to work in Nepal without work or stay long without this visa type.
Difference between Nepal Visa on Arrival and Nepal Tourist Visa
Nepal tourist visa refers to a visa type that is issued to all foreigners entering Nepal.
Nepal Visa on Arrival refers to one of how you can apply for a Nepal tourist visa. By default, this is a tourist visa.
Nepal Tourist Visa is usually obtained from any of the Nepalese diplomatic missions overseas and not only on arrival.
Nepal visa requirements refer to all the documents you need to have when applying for Nepal Visa on Arrival.
- Original passport has to be valid for at least another six months and has at least two blank visa pages
- Copies of all your information page of your passport
- One recent passport size picture of you (Measuring 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches and white background). You should always take more than one since you will always need to use it again whenever you are interested in extending your visa when making fee payments or any other purpose that might arise
- Completed and signed the Nepal visa application form. It is filled online, and you will have to print it as required by the Nepal visa policy
- Accommodation proof in Nepal. You need a hotel reservation or an address
- Valid travel tick or return flight ticket
- Sufficient financial proof, which is something like a bank statement for at least the last three months
- Proof that you have paid the cost of Nepal visa
Note: All the documents you will be submitting on arrival will always be subject to change depending on the purpose of your travel according to Nepal visa policy. It is highly recommended that you always complete the online application form before you travel to Nepal. After completing the form, you will always receive a list of documents that you will have to present when you appear before the immigration offices.
If you are traveling for purposes other than tourism, you will have to apply for your visa at the Nepal Department of Immigration in Kathmandu. Having all the required documents for the visa type you are applying for is important.
Filling the Nepal Visa Application Form
There are two ways you can use to fill in the Nepal Visa application form:
1. Pre-arrival visa
You will have to submit your application online before traveling, then print the application form and carry it along when traveling. It is the preferable method by the Nepal Department of Immigration since it helps prevent long queues at the airport or the border crossings.
2. At the Land Border Crossing or Airport
You can always use electronic machines or application forms to complete and download the visa application form at the arrival hall at the Nepal airport.
You will need to have the following with you when completing the Nepal application form:
- Valid passport
- Recent passport size picture measuring1.5 inches by 1.5 inches in size. It can be printed or electronic, depending on the application method
- Address of where you will be staying while in Nepal
It is preferable if you complete the Nepal online visa application form before travelling to Nepal. After printing it, you will be issued with a list of all the documents you need to have when submitting the visa on arrival application.
Is it Possible to Apply for Nepal Visa Online?
No! It is not possible to submit your Nepal visa application online. However, you can complete the Nepal tourist visa application form online through the Nepal Immigration Department server. After completing the Nepal online visa application form, you will have to print the form, sign it and submit it together with all the necessary documents whenever you apply for your visa on arrival. Nepalese government does not provide e-Visas.
You can be issued with a Nepal tourist visa for 15, 30, or 90 days. However, the cost of Nepal visa will always vary depending on the number of days you will be staying in the country.
Is it Possible to Extend Nepal Visa?
Yes, you can always extend your Nepal visa at the Department of Immigration headquarters in Kathmandu. The Kathmandu office is the online Immigration Department office that can extend both tourist and Nepal free visa countries. The Pokhara Immigration office is only capable of extending tourist visas.
You will always be forced to apply for an extension of your Nepal visa before its expiry date. When you use it after its expiry, you will have overstayed your visa and you can be fined, arrested, and detained. You can always extend your access for 15 days for a fee of up to $45. However, you will have to pay an extra $3 after that for any additional day.
Visa fees for Nepal tourist visa typically change depending on the number of days it has been issued for:
- Visa Fee for 15 days is $30
- Visa Fee for 30 days is $50
- Visa Fee for 90 days is $125
Suppose you are interested in extending your stay for long-term durations like working or studying. In that case, you will have to pay fees at the Nepal Immigration Department, depending on the number of months you will be spending in Nepal.
- Nepal Student Visa is $30 per month
- Nepal Relationship Visa is $15 to $25 per month
- Nepal work visa is $75 per month
We hope you now know how to apply for Nepal visa! We hope you now know what is required for a successful Nepal visa application and how you can go about it. It is important to note that nationals of South Asian countries like Pakistan, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and the Maldives are exempted from visa fees for their first visa in a visa year for 30 days.