What are the conditions of Myanmar visa?
Myanmar has been closed off from the rest of the world until recently when it was opened up. It is a great country rich in natural attractions and culture—entering Myanmar, which was previously referred to as Burma, is not that difficult. All you have to do is apply for a Myanmar visa.
Do I Need Myanmar Visa?
Most of the foreigners from different countries will have to apply for a visa before they can travel to Myanmar. However, citizens from some countries are eligible to use a facilitated process which can either be online or on arrival, to get Myanmar Visa.
There are also countries whose citizens are exempted from holding a visa to get into Myanmar, especially when they will be visiting the country for short-term purposes like tourism or business.
Myanmar Visa Exemptions
Citizens of the following countries are usually exempted from having visas when getting into Myanmar for up to 30 days.
• Hong Kong
• South Korea
In case you are from any of the below countries and planning to travel to Myanmar for business and tourism purposes, then you are exempted from having a visa for a period of 14 days by Myanmar visa service.
However, visa exemptions only apply to holders of ordinary passports.
Myanmar Visa free Countries For Non-ordinary Passports
In case you have a service, official or diplomatic passport issued by any of the below Myanmar visa free countries, then you are exempted from a Myanmar visa for a period of 90 days
• South Korea
However, if you are a citizen of the below countries and have a service, official or diplomatic passport, then you are exempted from a Myanmar visa for a period of up to 30 days.
• North Korea
• Sri Lanka
Myanmar Visa Types
There are different Myanmar visa types based on the method of application together with the reason you will get into the country using.
Visa Type Based on Application Method
• Myanmar Visa on Arrival: It is issued at a certain point of entry
• Myanmar e-visa: Refers to visa issued when you apply online
• Regular Myanmar Visa: it is a visa type you get when you apply directly at the consulate or embassy
Visa Type based on Travel Purpose
• Myanmar Tourist Visa: It is a visa type that is issued to foreigners who will be entering Myanmar for tourism or recreational purposes
• Myanmar Business Visa: This refers to a visa type that is issued to foreigners who will be entering Myanmar for business purposes
• Myanmar tourist visa: It is a visa type that is issued to ex-Myanmar citizens or foreigners who have a family relationship with Myanmar citizens
• Myanmar Employment Visa: Refers to a visa type that is issued to foreign individuals who have come to work in Myanmar
• Myanmar Crew Visa: It is a visa type that is usually issued to aircrew members
• Myanmar Transit Visa: Refers to a visa type that is usually issued to foreigners on transit to a third country. However, this visa is only valid for 24 hours
Myanmar Visa Application Documents
When applying for a Myanmar visa, there are documents that you need to have to ensure your application is successful. Myanmar visa policy will, however, depend on the visa type you are applying.
The must-have documents include:
• A passport that is valid for at least six months
• Personal information page photocopies
• Two recent passport size pictures measuring 4.8 cm by 3.8 cm
• Filled Myanmar visa application form
• Flight itinerary copy
When applying for a business visa, you will need to get a letter of recommendation from a registered company in your country and an invitation letter from a registered company in Myanmar.
Visa fee payment
Any other supporting document that the consulate or embassy will request you to provide.
How to Get Myanmar Visa
There are different ways foreigners who are interested in traveling to Myanmar can use to get a visa. The methods include:
• At the consulate or Embassy of Myanmar
• On arrival
• Visa Application at the Consulate or Embassy of Myanmar
When applying for a Myanmar visa at any of the Myanmar embassies or consulates abroad, you will have to do the following:
• Get and contact the consulate or embassy of Myanmar in your country or anyone responsible within your jurisdiction
• Figure out whether you will need an appointment and get to know the opening hours together with any other Myanmar visa policy
• Collect all the required documents to ensure Myanmar visa application successfully
• Submit all the required documents and applications on your appointment date. There are consulates or embassies which will allow you to submit your application through email
• Wait for the visa to be processed
• When your application is approved, you can collect your visa, or they will mail it back to your depending on the way you submitted your application
• You will have to enter Myanmar within three months, or the validity of the visa will expire
Myanmar Visa Processing Duration
Myanmar visa application has a processing time of approximately two weeks when you use the regular Myanmar visa application at the consulate or embassy.
The processing time is bound to change depending on the country you are applying from and whether you are applying in person or using mail, and the visa type you are applying for. The processing time will always take longer when you have incorrect or miss any document.
To help shorten the processing time and avoid any form of delay, ensure you always apply well in advance before your travel time, although it should not be earlier than three months.
When applying for a Myanmar e-visa, the processing time will always be three days.
Myanmar Visa Duration
After being issued with the Myanmar visa, it will only be valid for three months, within which you will have to enter the country. When you fail to enter the country within three months, the visa will expire, and you will not be in a position to use it.
You can always stay for a period of 28 days or 70 days, depending on the visa type you have after entering Myanmar.
You can always stay in Myanmar for 28 days when you have the following types of visas:
• Crew visa
• Tourist visa
• Journalist visa
• Workshop or seminar visa
• Social visit visa
However, you can stay for up to 70 days when you have the following types of visas:
• Education visa
• Business visa
• Religious visa
• Employment visa
However, when you overstay, you will have to pay the overstay fee that is $3 every day until when you will depart.
Is It Possible For One To Extend Myanmar Visa? The type of visa you have will determine if you can extend your visa duration or not. You can never extend a Myanmar tourist visa. However, you can always seek an extension when you have other types of visas like employment or business at the Immigration services.
Long-term Stay in Myanmar for Employment
In case you are interested in working and living in Myanmar for long-term periods, you will have to get multiple special re-entry visas or a stay permit.
Stay permit is normally issued from a period of three months to one year and it is valid for one entry only. When you have this type of visa, it is advisable that you also seek multiple re-entry visas that will allow you to get out and into Myanmar several times. Myanmar Ministry of Immigration and Population is responsible for handling applications for both stay permit and multiple journey special re-entry visas.
Myanmar visa fees
Below are the Myanmar Visa fees:
• Multiple Journey Special Re-entry Visa is $180
• Myanmar Tourist Visa is $20
• Myanmar Transit Visa is $18
Cost of Myanmar visa for other types like education, employment, business, and journalist is $36.
Note: cost of Myanmar visa for eVisas and Visas on Arrival vary.
How Safe Is It To Visit Myanmar?
Myanmar is very safe to visit. You should never have any worry when visiting the country. Some of the popular tourist attraction sites include Kiyakto, Mergui Archipelago, Inle Lake, Bagan, Yangon, and Mandalay.
There are areas that you are advised to avoid during your vacation period in Myanmar. Areas such as Kachi, Rakhine, and shan are not advisable to visit due to the frequent unrest and civil war.
We hope you now know how to get Myanmar visa! We are glad to have helped you know Myanmar visa service application process and the different types of visas available as you plan to visit Myanmar. However, you need to ensure all your documents are in order and that you start the process early enough, although it should not be more than three months to avoid the last-minute rush. When your application is successful, ensure you do not overstay since you can be charged or arrested and fined, and your chances of being awarded a visa in the future will be affected. Ensure all your documents are valid and in order.
Judith is a Kenya based writer. Writing is her passion. She is the consummate professional with boundless enthusiasm. With a style that is spare and to the point, she delights in presenting facts accurately but also strives to lead readers into unknown worlds, worlds filled with ideas to explore and information to digest. Impossible meets the achievable, as she takes any challenge presented and makes sure that nothing is left to chance.