- Visa Types
- I am from a country whose citizens do not need a visa to enter the Falkland Islands. Can I experience any problems at the border, while entering the Falkland Islands? - Will my fees be refunded if my visa is refused? - Do I have to participate in the Embassy in person for applying for Falkland Islands visa? - Can the Embassy/Consulate request me to provide additional documents or information? - Can I travel to the Falkland Islands with a UK visa? - Can I travel to the Falkland Islands with a Schengen visa?
- Blogs About Falkland Islands (Malvinas) That Might Inspire You to Visit
Do You Need Visa to Visit Falkland Islands (Malvinas)? Check It Out!
Visa Types & Categories to Apply for Falkland Islands
There are different types of visas available for the Falkland Islands. You will be required a visa even if you are transiting through the Falkland Islands unless you are from a visa-exempt group.
You can realize your planned trip to the Falkland Islands by obtaining a Falkland Islands visa. Foreign nationals can apply to Falkland Islands short-term visas via embassy for temporary reasons (tourism, business, cultural, and other short-term purposes).
All nationals (including visa-free nationals) entering the Falkland Islands are granted a visitor's permit, initially valid for four weeks.
All land-based international visitors staying in the Falkland Islands must have a valid passport, a return ticket, pre-booked accommodation, and be able to show evidence of sufficient funds.
There is a £26 departure tax on departure from the islands that is not included in the LATAM airline tickets.
In general, Cruise passengers do not need a visa, regardless of nationality, to participate in shore excursions unless they plan to spend additional time in the Falkland Islands before or after a cruise.
Persons requiring a visa to enter or transit through the Falkland Islands must apply to the nearest British Embassy or Consulate with a Visa Section.
For detailed information about UK visas, you can check UK Visa Policy.
Several countries have reciprocal arrangements with the Falkland Islands, and their citizens do not need to arrange for a visitor's visa. The Visitor's Permit is issued upon arrival in the Falklands. This permit may initially be valid for up to four weeks.
Applications for an extension of the permit must be submitted directly to Customs and Immigration in Stanley. Any individual whose passport or international travel document is issued by the Red Cross, or the United Nations does not need to pre-arrange a visitor's visa to enter the Falkland Islands.
EMBASSY INFORMATION AND LOCATION
I am from a country whose citizens do not need a visa to enter the Falkland Islands. Can I experience any problems at the border, while entering the Falkland Islands?
You must meet certain requirements to enter the Falkland Islands, even if you are not required a visa:
- The purpose of your trip to the Falkland Islands must be plausible and comprehensible.
- Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months beyond your stay in the Falkland Islands.
- You must be able to finance your own living and travel costs.
- You must hold a confirmed return flight to prove that you are prepared to leave the Falkland Islands before the duration of the permitted stay ends.
- You must not pose a threat to security or public order.
Will my fees be refunded if my visa is refused?
All fees are non-refundable and will not be refunded if your visa application is not successful.
Do I have to participate in the Embassy in person for applying for Falkland Islands visa?
It depends on your country of residence or the embassy/consulate/Visa Administrative Center’s rules and obligations. In some countries, sending your documents via courier is enough to the embassy/consulate/Visa Administrative Center.
Can the Embassy/Consulate request me to provide additional documents or information?
The embassy may request you to provide additional documents or information, according to your personal situation, even after you have submitted all the required documents mentioned on the official website of the Embassy/Consulate/Visa Application Center.
Can I travel to the Falkland Islands with a UK visa?
Yes, you can travel to the Falkland Islands with a UK visa. It means you can apply for a UK visa for traveling to the Falkland Islands. For detailed information about UK visas, you can check UK Visa Policy.
Can I travel to the Falkland Islands with a Schengen visa?
No, Schengen visas are not valid for travel to the Falkland Islands.