- Visa Types
- I am from a country whose citizens do not need a visa to enter Gibraltar. Can I experience any problems at the border, while entering Gibraltar? - Will my fees be refunded if my visa is refused? - Do I have to participate in the Embassy in person for applying for a Gibraltar visa? - Can the Embassy/Consulate request me to provide additional documents or information? - Can I travel to Gibraltar with a UK visa? - Can I travel to Gibraltar with a Schengen visa?
- Blogs About Gibraltar That Might Inspire You to Visit
Do You Need Visa to Visit Gibraltar? Check It Out!
Visa Types & Categories to Apply for Gibraltar
There are different types of visas available for Gibraltar. You will be required a visa even if you are transiting through Gibraltar unless you are from a visa-exempt group.
You can realize your planned trip to Gibraltar by obtaining a Gibraltar visa. Foreign nationals can apply to Gibraltar short-term visas via embassy for temporary reasons (tourism, business, cultural, and other short-term purposes). Persons requiring a visa to enter or transit through Gibraltar must apply to the nearest British Embassy or Consulate with a Visa Section. Those who require a visa to enter the United Kingdom will also require a separate visa to enter Gibraltar.
For detailed information about UK visas, you can check UK Visa Policy.
You will need a visa to travel to Gibraltar unless you are in any of these exempt groups:
- Persons holding service, temporary service, and diplomatic passports issued by the Holy See.
- Persons holding EU family permits, UK residence permits issued for a period of 12 months or more, UK biometric residence permits, or UK multiple-entry visas issued for a period of 6 months or more.
- Persons holding indefinite leave to stay in the United Kingdom and persons holding UK residence entitlement certificates and who have not been absent from the United Kingdom for more than 2 years.
Gibraltar does not part of the Schengen area. However, Schengen visa holders from some countries may visit Gibraltar without a visa for up to 21 days, provided they have at least seven days left on the visa. Please check with the Government of Gibraltar through this website.
Passport Control Arrivals
For all passengers arriving at Gibraltar Airport, your first step will be to clear the passport control of arrivals.
There are two separate lanes for:
- Nationals of all European Union (EU)
- All other nationalities
The Gibraltar Borders and Coastguards Agency Officer will ask at the passport desk to see your valid passport or travel document plus any supporting documentation necessary for your visit. Please note that your passport or travel document may not expire during your planned visit to Gibraltar.
EMBASSY INFORMATION AND LOCATION
I am from a country whose citizens do not need a visa to enter Gibraltar. Can I experience any problems at the border, while entering Gibraltar?
You must meet certain requirements to enter Gibraltar, even if you are not required a visa:
- The purpose of your trip to Gibraltar must be plausible and comprehensible.
- Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months beyond your stay in Gibraltar.
- You must be able to finance your own living and travel costs.
- You must hold a confirmed return flight to prove that you are prepared to leave Gibraltar before the duration of the permitted stay ends.
- You must not pose a threat to security or public order.
Will my fees be refunded if my visa is refused?
All fees are non-refundable and will not be refunded if your visa application is not successful.
Do I have to participate in the Embassy in person for applying for a Gibraltar visa?
It depends on your country of residence or the embassy/consulate/Visa Administrative Center’s rules and obligations. In some countries, sending your documents via courier is enough to the embassy/consulate/Visa Administrative Center.
Can the Embassy/Consulate request me to provide additional documents or information?
The embassy may request you to provide additional documents or information, according to your personal situation, even after you have submitted all the required documents mentioned on the official website of the Embassy/Consulate/Visa Application Center.
Can I travel to Gibraltar with a UK visa?
Yes, you can travel to Gibraltar with a UK visa. It means you can apply for a UK visa for traveling to Gibraltar. For detailed information about UK visas, you can check UK Visa Policy.
Can I travel to Gibraltar with a Schengen visa?
No, Schengen visas are not valid for travel to Gibraltar.