- Do You Need Visa to Visit Marshall Islands?
- Visa Types
- Will my fees be refunded if my visa is rejected? - Can I extend the validity of my visitor visa? - When should I apply for an extension of my visa? - Can I submit my document in my native language? - What is the local currency in the Marshall Islands? - Can the Embassy/Consulate request me to provide additional documents or information? - I am from a country whose citizens do not need a visa to enter the Marshall Islands. Can I experience any problems at the border, while entering the Marshall Islands? - Who cannot obtain a Marshall Islands visa?
- Blogs About Marshall Islands That Might Inspire You to Visit
Do You Need Visa to Visit Marshall Islands?
Visa is required
Visa On Arrival
Visa is free
Do You Need Visa to Visit Marshall Islands? Check It Out!
Visa Types and Categories to Apply for the Marshall Islands
You should apply for a Marshall Islands visa to make your trips to the Marshall Islands. Reasons to apply for this type of visa can be tourism, diplomatic, and many other reasons.
Following Persons are Exempted from Obtaining A Visa:
- Members of International Organizations
- A crew member or passenger on a ship or private vessel that is planning to stay for up to 7 days
- Member of Visiting Force
- Diplomats’ official staff’s member
- Dependent persons of the exempted foreigner
Marshall Islands Visas
Nationals from 64 countries are eligible to apply for a Visa on Arrival. These are the following nationals:
Papua New Guinea
St. Vincent & The Grenadines
The Holy See
United Arab Emirates
If your country is included neither in the list of eligible countries for Visa-free nor Visa on Arrival, you need to obtain a visa prior to arrival.
Foreigners need to pay a departure tax of approximately 20 USD at the airport.
Required Documents for Marshall Islands Visas
1. Application Form
- Duly completed application form
2. Two Photos
- Two recent passport size photos
- It must be valid at least 6 months
4. Travel Itinerary
- Copy of round-trip or onward flight ticket reservations
- Confirmed Hotel Booking or,
- Invitation letter from the host in the Marshall Islands
- Host’s contact details and passport (copy)
5. Proof of Financial Means
- Sufficient funds to cover expenses in the Marshall Islands
6. Supporting Documents
- For Tourist Visa:
- Marshall Islands Tourist visa is issued for applicants intending to visit the Marshall Islands for tourism and sightseeing.
- Visa is valid for 90 days.
- The letter indicating the purpose and the duration of the visit, and the party which will take responsibility for the applicant
- For Visiting Family and Friends Visa:
- Proof of relationship
- Contact details of them
- For Business Visa:
- It is issued to carry out business-related activities.
- Visa is valid for up to 2 years.
- The letter indicating the purpose and the duration of the visit
- Approved Foreign Investment Business License or
- Articles of Incorporation
- Contact details of the business (address, phone number)
- For Medical Visa:
- Name, address of the hospital, and doctor
- For Diplomatic Visa:
- Even though diplomats are generally exempted from obtaining a visa, past experience shows that they have been required a visa for entry.
- A diplomatic visa is valid for up to 2 years.
- Diplomatic Note. It must be issued by the Republic of Marshall Islands Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Notification from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It should include the name of the applicant, duration, purpose of the visit.
- Valid passport of a diplomat (copy)
- For Work Visa:
- A work visa is issued to foreigners who intend to work in the Marshall Islands.
- A work visa is valid for a period of maximum 2 years.
- The Labor division will notify the Division of Immigration regarding the issue of work visa.
- For General Visa:
- It is applied to the dependent (spouse, child) of the foreigners who work legally in the Marshall Islands.
- It can also be issued for purposes that are not included in other visa types\
- General visa is valid for up to 2 years.
- The letter indicating the purpose and the duration of the visit. If the applicant is dependent, then of the parent’s/spouse’s (who works in the Marshall Islands) details must be included.
- Marriage certificate (if the applicant is the spouse of a person who works in the Marshall Islands)
- Birth certificate (if the applicant is the child of a person who works in the Marshall Islands)
- For Student Visa:
- It is issued to foreigners who intend to study in the Marshall Islands.
- Student visa is valid for up to 1 year.
- Letter from educational institutions in the Marshall Islands indicating acceptance ad enrollment of the student in the upcoming academic year. It must be issued by a head of a school of college.
- For Transit Visa:
- This visa applies to foreigners who wish to enter the Marshall Islands for an onward destination outside the country.
- Transit visa is valid for 3 days.
- Letter from the applicant
- Duration of the visit and intended transit date must be included.
- Copy of onward flight ticket reservation
- Letter from the applicant
- Original and Certified Copies of All Supporting Documents Must be Submitted
7. Police Record (if required)
- It must be issued within the last 3 months (from National Police)
8. Health Clearance (if required)
- It must show that the applicant is not suffering from HIV/AIDS and TB
- It must be issued within the last 3 months
9. Payment Receipt
- Receipt of application fee payment
*Additional documents may be required by the embassy.
Processing Time for Marshall Islands Visa
The average processing time for a Marshall Islands Visa is 10-25 working days. It depends on your visa application country.
Marshall Islands Visa Fee
Marshall Islands Visa fee is 100-300 USD for all visa types except diplomatic and 30 days on arrival visitor’s visa, which are issued free of charge. The fee may vary depending on your nationality or your country of submission.
Where to Apply for Marshall Islands Visa?
You will apply for a Marshall Islands Visa in Marshall Islands visa application centers, embassies, or consulates, whichever accepts visa applications in your country of residence. If there is none of them in your country, you need to apply to the nearest embassy or consulate to your location.
EMBASSY INFORMATION AND LOCATION
Will my fees be refunded if my visa is rejected?
All fees are non-refundable and will not be refunded if your visa application is not successful.
Can I extend the validity of my visitor visa?
Yes. It is possible to extend 30 days visit visa twice, for further 60 days. You will be charged 10-25 USD for each extension.
When should I apply for an extension of my visa?
You should submit an application for an extension minimum of 10 working days before the expiry date of the visa.
Can I submit my document in my native language?
It is required to translate documents by an accredited organization that offers translation services.
What is the local currency in the Marshall Islands?
United States Dollars is the local currency in the Marshall Islands.
Can the Embassy/Consulate request me to provide additional documents or information?
The embassy may request you to provide additional documents or information, according to your personal situation, even after you have submitted all the required documents mentioned on the official website of the Embassy/Consulate/Visa Application Center.
I am from a country whose citizens do not need a visa to enter the Marshall Islands. Can I experience any problems at the border, while entering the Marshall Islands?
You must meet certain requirements to enter the Marshall Islands, even if you are not required a visa:
- The purpose of your trip to the Marshall Islands must be plausible and comprehensible.
- Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months beyond your stay in the Marshall Islands.
- You must be able to finance your own living and travel costs.
- You must hold a confirmed return flight to prove that you are prepared to leave the Marshall Islands before the duration of the permitted stay ends.
- You must not pose a threat to security or public order.
Who cannot obtain a Marshall Islands visa?
The following persons can not get a visa:
- A person who has been sentenced to imprisonment for more than 1 year
- A person with a Deportation Order
- A person who has been deported from any country
- A person who is likely to engage in terrorism activities (reason from Ministry)