Why visit Vietnam? The rich historical background, delicious cuisine, mysterious caves, charming landscapes are reasons to travel to Vietnam. It is not surprising that Vietnam is one of the most-visited destinations in the Asia-Pacific region. More than 15 million international tourists travel to Vietnam per year. When is the best time to visit Vietnam? If you are searching for an answer to this question, then you are in the right place. Today, you will find out what is the best season to visit Vietnam and more.
Visa policy of Vietnam
As in most other countries, if you are not from one of the visa-free countries, you should get a visa to visit Vietnam. Depending on the purpose of the visit, you can apply for various visa types. They are:
- Visa on Arrival. It is a type of visa that you can obtain at the airport. Short processing time is the main advantage of Visa on Arrival (2-48 hours). The application charge is 17 USD, and tourists will pay a 25 USD visa stamping price at the border.
- E-Visa. It is an online version of obtaining a visa to visit Vietnam. Firstly, you will fill the online application form and pay the processing fee (25 USD). After finishing these steps, you will wait for three days to get a visa by email.
- Short-term Visa. Applicants who are not eligible for e-Visa can apply for a short-term visa. This type of visa allows you to stay in the country and realize a short period of activities, such as tourism. The processing time of a Short-stay visa lasts 1-10 days, and you will apply in application centres, embassies, or consulates, whichever is responsible for visa applications in your country of residency.
- Transit Visa. Even if you transit from the territory of Vietnam, you need a visa. E-visa eligible nationalities also need a visa if they want to leave the airport.
- Long-term. A long-stay visa is for purposes such as education, working, etc. Even if you are from one of the visa-waiver countries, you should apply for a Long-term visa to realize your activities.
The list of documents that you will need during the application process is (the documentation process may vary depending on the applied visa type):
- Application form
- Valid passport
- A copy of the ID Card
- Residency permit or copy of the visa
- Travel Itinerary
- Health insurance
- Proof of financial means
- Other documents
If you want to obtain more information about visa policy and visa kinds of Vietnam, you can check the services section on our website.
Why visit Vietnam?
Vietnam is a country where tourists leave their hearts. Vietnam is a multi-faceted land that is incredibly attractive from a scenic point of view. People can discover mesmerizing beaches, metropolitan cities, green rice fields, mountains to climb, etc. Also, it is a country with a hospitable population, and the weather is continuously pleasant. During your vacation, you can experience plenty of different and exciting activities in one excursion. Which places to visit Vietnam? The list of destinations to visit in the country is quite long. It means that your holiday in Vietnam will be full of adventures. We consult our readers to prepare a list before realizing their trip. Some of the places to visit Vietnam that we can advise are:
- Mui Né; is a seaside fishing town where you will find a beach resort and a suitable environment for windsurfing, sailing, and kitesurfing.
- Mekong Delta; Here, you will get a chance to discover the secrets of the mighty Mekong River and explore the daily life of the local population.
- Hoi An; According to most visitors, it is the most romantic and enchanting city in Vietnam. Hoi An is the city of lanterns. During the sunset, they light lanterns, and it creates an unbelievable ambience.
- Phong Nha-Ke Bang is another incredible adventure, exploring the caves of the national park in central Vietnam. The territory of Phong Nha-Ke Bang starts to be covered wholly with greenery and seems like something from the past, from a different dimension.
- Ninh Binh; is a place that is well-known for its various limestone tops set among rice fields, caves, temples, and streams.
Climate of Vietnam
If you want to travel to Vietnam, one of the things that you need to know is the climate of the country. Such as the rest of Southeast Asia, Vietnam has a tropical climate with a lot of rain. As I said above, Vietnam has a tropical climate with wet and dry seasons. The dry season lasts from November to May. The hottest months are March and April, mainly in the southern part of Vietnam. The rainy season begins in May and lasts till November. In the south, these rains can be so heavy. If you don't admire rain, the wet season is not the best season to visit Vietnam. On the other hand, the end of the wet season and December coincide with winter in the north. We can characterize this period with low temperatures in the mountain areas.
When is the best time to visit Vietnam?
We got general information about the climate, Vietnam visa policy, and the worth-visiting places. However, what is the best time of year to visit Vietnam? In general, we can say that Vietnam has an average annual temperature of 27 C. Most travel guides and visitors agree that the best time to visit Vietnam is between December and May. However, while talking about the best time of year to visit Vietnam, we must consider the planned visiting destination. We can observe enormous weather differences from region to region. Besides the climate, we should take into consideration the holiday seasons. To be able to choose the best time to travel to Vietnam, this component should not be ignored. The most significant festival of the year is the Vietnamese New Year celebration that is called Tet. The Tet festival starts in January or February related to the lunar calendar. Celebration eve is an official holiday in Vietnam, and most shops and attractions are closed during this period. Moreover, streets become overcrowded during the celebrations, as everyone goes out with the family.
In the next sections, I will mention three climate zones in Vietnam. So, you can decide the best time to visit Vietnam weather.
Let's begin with the south to decide the best time to visit Vietnam weather. The south part of the country is pretty warm year-round, and temperatures range between 30-35 degrees. South Vietnam has three seasons:
- The warm and dry season continues between November and January. There is lots of sunlight, and the dry northeastern monsoon is active during this period.
- The hot season lasts from February to May, with temperatures around 33-35 C. Also, the humidity increases noticeably during the hot season.
- The last one is the rainy season that lasts from June to October. The southeast monsoon defines the weather, and it gets humid and hot. You can observe a lot of rain and heavy afternoon cloudbursts. Even at night, temperature changes between 21-24 degrees with high humidity.
Pay attention to these details while deciding the best time to visit Vietnam (south part).
The coastal town of Da Nang and the famous holiday resort Hoi An are some reasons to travel to the central part of Vietnam. We can characterize the central part of Vietnam by the tropical, humid climate. What is the best time to travel to Vietnam? Most people think that the period between February and May is the best time to plan a trip. During the day, the temperatures are pretty comfortable and regularly change between 24 and 28 degrees. In June, it can reach the peak point, 31 degrees. The rainy period is from October to November. Even sometimes it starts at the beginning of December. November is a less suitable time for tourists because of landslides and floods. So, if it is possible, realize your voyage before or after November.
A subtropical climate dominates in the northern part of the country with four seasons. As we said before, winter in Vietnam lasts from November to April, and particularly in North Vietnam, it can become quite cold. Temperature can fall below ten degrees with high humidity. Rain is not surprising at this time, and it becomes foggy. Winter in the far north, in the Sapa region, is harsher than in other parts of the country. You can even witness snow every few years. It means that spring is the best season to visit the northern part of the country. We say it because of two main reasons. Firstly, the weather is more friendly in spring. Secondly, the northern part does not attract more tourists during this time. So, it will not be so overcrowded. Summer is especially hot between July-August. Temperatures change around 35 degrees during the summer. It can get a little cooler at night, but it is not so cold.