How to apply for Singapore student visa?
Singapore is the abode of one of the highest-ranking universities (one of the three since 2013) in Asia - the National University of Singapore (NUS). The educational development in Singapore is so next-level. It trains the students to adapt to the workplaces of the future.
Five reasons why choosing Singapore for higher studies is the best choice:
• Affordable to your pocket
• It has best-in-class facilities with regards to healthcare, entertainment, leisure, transportation, and education.
• Part-time work policies for working students are reliable in Singapore.
• It is a hub of far too many recreational places. In particular, when exam stress sets in to cause turbulence in your precious mind.
• Singapore has reliable connectivity. Thanks to the 100 airlines that connect to around 300 cities across the globe.
Not just about that, but we must also mention details like Singapore student visa work permit, Singapore student visa processing time, Singapore student visa fees, Singapore student visa requirements, Singapore student visa checklist, and IELTS requirement for Singapore student visa. Are you excited to know about these elements? Read on.
Singapore student visa work permit
The principal thing to know about Singapore study and work visa is that the Student's Pass makes an applicant qualified for working while studying. Other than that, when you want to work and study in Singapore, you can apply for a work pass exemption. There are two main criteria:
• Getting enrolled in an institute recognized by the Ministry of Manpower, Singapore
• You ought not to be an exchange student for study modules in Singapore.
Other criterias include:
• Working for at least sixteen hours a week
• The company you work for should contribute to the course you are pursuing in Singapore.
• The company must be under your educational institution. Most educational institutes offer on-campus work opportunities or have online job portals.
When we talk about Singapore student visa work permits, we come across four types of Singapore post-study work visa requirements:
• Long-term Social Visit Pass
A long-term visit pass is only for graduates from a university in the Institutes of Higher Learning list. The visa duration period for such a pass is about one year. Unfortunately, you cannot renew it.
• Employment Pass
The employment pass is only for working people with a minimum salary of 4,500 Singapore dollars per month. The visa duration period for it is about 2-3 years.
You can renew an employment pass. You need sponsorship for it. Also, dependents are allowed, but one minimum salary criteria of S$6,000.
• S Pass
This work visa is catering for mid-skilled foreign employees who are technicians or specialists. S pass is for working people with a minimum salary of S$2,500 per month. The visa duration period is only two years.
You can renew it, too. You need sponsorship for an S pass. Also, dependents are allowed, but one must meet the minimum salary criteria of S$6,000.
EntrePass - for getting it, you must have started, or intend to start, a private limited company registered with ACRA (Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority, Singapore). The visa duration period for such a pass is about 1-2 years.
You can renew an EntrePass. You don't need sponsorship for this pass. Also, dependents are allowed, but annual business spending must be at least S$100,000.
Singapore student visa processing time
If you wish to study in Singapore, you would require a Student's Pass. All Student's Pass applications are to be submitted.
The Singapore student visa processing time is between 15 days and four weeks. But it may take a little bit longer depending on your citizenship or country of submission.
Singapore student visa fees
We talked about the Singapore student visa processing time. Now, we move over to the next thing on your mind- Singapore student visa fees.
The Singapore student visa processing fee is about 30 SGD (22.11 USD) for every application you submit to the ICA (Immigration and Checkpoints Authority).
It is a non-refundable fee. Whether your application gets accepted or not, you will not get it back.
Once the Singapore student visa gets approved, the student should pay 60 SGD (44.21 USD). This fee is for the issuance of the Student Pass.
Singapore student visa requirements
The most significant section of the article is this bit. Here we talk about the Singapore student visa requirements for acquiring a Singapore student visa. Let us jump to the list already:
• Passport - valid for three months after the study program
• Valid ID
• Passport-sized recent photographs
• Letter of acceptance from a university
• Comprehensive study plan
• A printed copy of eForm 16 from SOLAR (Student Pass Online Application and Registration)
• A printed copy of Form V36 from SOLAR
• A medical certificate matching the norms of the ICA (Immigration and Checkpoints Authority) is a must.
• In-principle approval letter
• Required and standardized scores acquired in GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS is a must.
• Birth certificate
• Residential address in Singapore
• Academic certifications
• Proof of financial capability- fixed deposits or a letter from the bank that the funds are available in your account. The minimum requirement is 5000 SGD (3600 USD).
• Academic transcripts, diplomas, degrees, and certificates
• Disembarkation or Embarkation card
• Email address
• Proof of English proficiency
• Statement of purpose
• Health insurance (if required)
• Student’s resume/ curriculum vitae
• Employment history (if applicable)
• Information of parents, siblings, or spouse (if applicable) of the student
• Bank loan sanction letter (if necessary)
The list mentioned above can also make up your Singapore student visa checklist.
IELTS requirement for Singapore student visa
One of the most crucial examinations to acquire a Singapore student visa is to clear the official language proficiency test. The official language of instruction in Singapore is English. To prove your knowledge, you must go for two heavy examinations:
For undergraduate courses - the student must score 6.0 to 6.5 for a Singapore student visa.
For postgraduate courses - the student must score 6.5 to 7.0.
For undergraduate courses- the student must score 80 in TOEFL
For postgraduate courses- the student must score 90 in TOEFL
Here we are going a little bit deeper than the topic of concern - IELTS requirement for Singapore student visa depending on the universities:
• According to the National University of Singapore - 6.5 in IELTS and 92 in TOEFL
• Nanyang Technological University - 6.0 to 6.5 in IELTS and 90 to 100 in TOEFL
• Singapore Management University - 6.5 to 7.0 in IELTS and 90 to 93 in TOEFL
• Singapore Institute of Management - 6.0 in IELTS and 79 to 92 in TOEFL
Singapore University of Social Sciences - 6.5 in IELTS and 85 in TOEFL.
We hope that the Singapore student visa checklist mentioned above becomes of great help to you. A little more about Singapore for you to attract a little more towards it:
• A standard-sized dish in Singapore is about 3 to 7 USD.
• The nightlife is full of various clubs to relax your exam-fearing nerves.
• Unparalleled shopping sprees, world-class zoos, extraordinary and out-of-the-world local cuisines- are some of the attractive features of Singapore.
• Five places you should not miss in Singapore: Singapore Zoo-Night Safari, Orchard Road, Singapore Riverside, Chinatown, and Little India.
You can get lost in the beauty Singapore has to offer and become a student for life. May you have a pleasant study trip to Singapore. Do not forget to check the Singapore student visa checklist once again.
Arati Kulkarni is passionate about research writing besides being a doctor. She has completed graduation in Homoeopathy, post-graduation in Emergency Medicine and an MBA in Healthcare Management (2019). Her hobbies include travelling around the world, learning new things, cooking, and shopping. She has been to most of the places in India, from Gurgoan in North India to Mysore in South India. For her, travelling adds a new chapter to her life.