How to get tourist visa for Hungary?
Hungary has divided into 19 counties administratively, with the capital city of Budapest operating independently of any county government.
Hungary is one of Europe’s most popular tourist destinations, with Budapest, the capital, regarded as one of the world’s most beautiful cities. Despite its small size, Hungary is home to several World Heritage Sites, UNESCO Biosphere Reserves, the world’s second largest thermal lake (Lake Hévz), Central Europe’s largest lake (Lake Balaton) and Europe’s largest natural grassland (Hortobagy).
Hungary is a landlocked country in the Carpatho-Balkan region. Hungary is divided into three parts by its two longest rivers, the Danube and the Tisza:
• Transdanubia (west of the Danube)
• The plain between the Danube and the Tisza
• The Trans-Tisza region (to the east of the Tisza) Hungary’s “mountains” are actually hills, with elevations rarely exceeding 1,000 meters. Hungary’s geographic area is less than 200 meters above sea level in two-thirds of the country.
The 598-square-kilometer Lake Balaton is one of Hungary’s most popular tourist destinations. Because the lake’s average depth is two to three meters, the water warms up quickly in the summer.
You will be informed about Hungary tourist visa requirements throughout this article. Also, questions like “How long does it take to get Hungary visa?” will be answered in one of the following phases of this article.
How to get a visa for Hungary
Hungary became a member of the Schengen Area on December 21, 2007. Visas and residence permits issued by one of the Schengen Member States are valid for Hungary as of that date, and visas/residence permits issued by Hungarian authorities are valid for the entire Schengen Area as a general rule.
As of December 19, 2011, the Schengen Area consists of 22 European Union member states (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden), as well as Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, and Lichtenstein.
(At the moment, six European Union member states do not issue Schengen visas: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania, and the United Kingdom.)
The Schengen regulations are only in effect for stays of up to 90 days. The national law of the member states concerned establishes the rules for stays of more than 90 days. Now, let’s find what documents required for Hungary tourist visa.
Hungary tourist visa requirements
Various types of visas will apply to your visit to Hungary. Depending on the reason for your visit, used Hungary tourist visa application form. Whether you plan to visit, study, or work in Hungary and live there permanently, you must apply for a different Hungarian tourist visa.
Since 2007, when Hungary became a member of the Schengen Area and a member of the European Union, you can apply for a Hungarian Schengen Visa.
Restrictions on entry to Hungary as a result of the Coronavirus
In mid-March 2020, Finland and the rest of the EU and Schengen Area members imposed an EU-wide entry ban on third-country nationals due to the Coronavirus outbreak.
Despite improved epidemiological conditions in the EU and elsewhere, Hungary has only lifted entry restrictions on the following:
• For humanitarian reasons,
• Citizens of third countries who are family members of EU or EEA citizens
• Serbian citizens,
• Ukrainian nationals for a maximum of 24 hours and within 30 kilometres of the border.
For business activities, special rules have been established for citizens of Japan and South Korea.
Documents required for Hungary tourist visa in General:
• Download the Hungary tourist visa application form and complete it completely and honestly. You can also electronically fill out the Hungary tourist visa application form and then print a hard copy. Learn how to complete the Hungarian Visa Application!
• Two photos must be attached; one must be in passport format, and the other must be a recent whole-face photograph with a light background. Learn more about the photo requirements and specifications for a Hungary tourist visa.
• You’ll need your passport and copies of your previous visas, which must be valid for at least three months beyond your return date. At least two blank pages are required in your passport.
• A cover letter stating the purpose of the visit to Hungary and the itinerary
• A flight air ticket reservation with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Hungary
• A cover letter stating the purpose of the visit to Hungary and the itinerary
• Make a hotel reservation for the entire duration of your planned stay in Hungary.
• A copy of your civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
• Subsistence – Proof of adequate financial resources for the duration of your stay in Hungary.
If you’re employed, you’ll need:
• Your employment contract
• Your most recent six-month bank statement
• Employer’s no-objection certificate
• Form of Income Tax Return (ITR) or Certificate of Income Tax Deducted at Source
if you’re self-employed:
• A copy of your business license
• The most recent six-month bank statement for the company
• Federal Income Tax Return (ITR)
If you’re a student, you should:
• Proof of enrollment
• A letter from the school or university approving your leave
If you’re retired:
• The most recent six-month pension statement
If this is the case:
• Proof of regular income generated by a property in the last six months
*Note: The signed application form must be delivered personally to the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country, along with the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents.
Depending on the purpose of your Hungarian Visa application, other documents should be included in addition to the general documentation.
How to get a visa for Hungary? List of additional documents required for the most common reasons for applying for a Hungary tourist visa:
• Invitation letter from a family member or sponsor, including address and phone number – if applicable
• Bank statement from the previous six months
• Copies of passports
• An invitation letter from the Hungarian company you will be visiting, along with their detailed address and the dates of your visit.
• A letter from your boss stating/approving your business trip
• If the two companies have had previous business dealings, proof of those dealings must be provided.
• The most recent six-month bank statement for your business
• Original certified copy of the Memorandum and Articles of Association (registered with joint-stock companies) Proprietorship/Partnership documents, Trade License (first issued and current renewal).
• Either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation regarding the applicant’s expenses while in the Schengen zone.
Visa to Hungary for Medical Purposes:
• A local medical report is required for a Hungary visa for medical purposes.
• A medical attestation from a hospital or doctor in Hungary, confirming your appointment date and medical condition.
• Receipt of medical fees payment
Hungary Cultural, sporting, film crew, or religious visas are available.
• An invitation letter from the above-mentioned authorities detailing the nature of the events or activities, and purpose of the visit and the expense coverage
• The applicants’ names (crew members)
• Length of stay
• Travel schedule
Members of Official Delegations may apply for a visa to Hungary.
• A copy of the official invitation
• The applicant’s identity
• Why are you going on this trip? (negotiations, meetings, events by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
• Length of stay
• The location of your lodging
Hungary Study, training, research, or other types of internships require a visa. Purposes:
• A certificate of enrollment that allows you to attend classes
• A certificate of completion for courses you’ve taken
• Financial support
Hungary Visa For A Hungarian Citizen’s Wife/Husband:
• Hungarian citizenship proof (ID card or consular card or certification of Hungarian nationality or naturalization order)
• Marriage certificate from Hungary
• Hungarian genealogy book
Transit Visa for Hungary:
• In the transit country, a visa or other type of entry permit is required.
• A copy of your final destination’s valid visa
Hungary Visa for Children Under the Age of 18:
• Proof of a parent’s regular income if the child is under the age of 18. (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
• Parent’s notarized permission to travel (parental travel consent)
• If one parent lives in a different country, notarized parental travel consent is required.
*Note: Underage children should be accompanied by a guardian or parent when applying at the Hungarian embassy/consulate in their home country.
Extension of foreigners’ temporary visas in Hungary
An extension to a Schengen visa for Hungary is only possible in exceptional circumstances, such as when new facts or special circumstances arise after arrival in Hungary. You should take into account that the extension cost will be added to the Hungary tourist visa cost.
Hungary tourist visa processing time
How long does it take to get Hungary visa? The processing time for a Hungary Visa (Schengen Visa) in the Hungary Embassy/Consulate is typically 10 to 15 days. Hungary tourist visa processing time is determined by a number of factors and is subject to change at the discretion of the consulate. Okay, but how much is Hungary visa fee? You will find this in the last phase of this article.
Hungary tourist visa application form
In Hungarian, English, and French, visa application forms are available. Please download and print it, fill it out legibly with capital letters or a typewriter, and submit it to the competent Hungarian foreign mission.
On the website of the Hungarian National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing, you can find application forms for stays longer than three months (seasonal employment, residence permit, etc.) as well as other documents. Please keep in mind that different application forms are required for different purposes of stay.
How much is Hungary visa fee
All those who require a visa must obtain one from the appropriate embassy/consulate, which is the Embassy of Hungary. Hungary tourist visa cost is 60 euros. Visa processing can take up to 15 days from the time you register. The visa is valid for a maximum of 90 days over six months.