Major points about Guatemala visa
Guatemala is an ideal tourist location. The country has a rich history and some of the oldest civilizations known to man. You can visit the ruins of the Mayan people and see some of their temples.
Visit Guatemala City and see some of the well-kept Spanish colonial buildings along with the National Palace of Culture and the Museum of Ethnology and Archaeology.
The country is also full of volcanos, with Lake Atitlán having formed in a huge crater. Villages and large fields of coffee surround the lake.
If you plan to visit the country, you should be aware of the Guatemala visa policy stating that foreigners require a visa to enter the country. Only the citizens from one of the Guatemala visa free countries may cross into Guatemalan territories without a visa.
Do I Need A Visa For Guatemala?
As stated earlier, you will need to obtain a visa to gain entry into the territories of Guatemala. Unless your resident country appears on this Guatemala visa free countries list, ensure that you apply and get a visa before visiting the country.
Those from Guatemala visa free countries are allowed to stay in the country for up to 90 days. After 90 days, you must exit the countries territories.
In addition, foreigners who have residence permits from Honduras, Nicaragua, and El Salvador and U.S. green cards bearing a U.S. Re-entry Permit do not need to get a visa to access Guatemalan territories.
Visitors who would normally need a visa are allowed to transit through the country without one. However, the visitors must be transiting on the same day and have a forwarding ticket out of the country.
Diplomatic and official service passport holders from these countries are allowed entry into the country without a passport.
How To Apply For Guatemala Visa
You can make a Guatemala visa application through a few different processes. You should try your best to find a method that works best for you.
Visa Processing Agency
There are a few agencies that can help you apply for a Guatemala visa. In most cases, the visa you will get through this process will be the tourism visa. However, in some cases, a few of them will even help you process a business visa and a transit visa.
This process is often stress-free as the agencies will help you fill the Guatemala visa application form and even ensure that you meet all the Guatemala visa requirements. The agencies will assist in filling the application with the embassy, and when your Guatemala visa application is approved, the agency will collect the visa for you and send it.
You should, however, make sure that you engage a professional and trustworthy agency. Since there is money involved (as the agencies will charge a small fee), a few people are taking advantage and corning people out of their hard-earned money.
Guatemala Embassy Application
The embassy is the best method to use when you apply for a Guatemala visa. You will be sure of what you are doing as the embassy staff will assist you in every way possible.
If you are asking yourself, "how to apply for Guatemala visa"? Then the Guatemala embassy is without a doubt the best way to go about it.
When applying to the embassy, you will need to download the Guatemala visa application form from the official embassy website. Fill in your details on this application form, sign it and attach all required supporting documents. You are then requested to book an appointment with the Guatemalan embassy before going to the offices to make your application.
You will have to physically go to the embassy to make your application. To prevent any delays in processing, you are advised to make sure you get the correct form for the type of visa you want.
When you get to the embassy, an immigration officer will take you through an interview after reviewing your documents. The officer will then decide whether to approve or deny depending on whether you meet all requirements according to the Guatemala visa policy.
If you are not a resident of one of the countries appearing on the official Guatemala visa free countries list, visit the embassy and apply for a visa before visiting Guatemala. Please note that the immigration officer holds sole discretion on the approval of your Guatemalan visa. If your visa is approved, you can decide to collect it from the embassy or send it to you.
Guatemala Visa Fee
The Guatemala visa fee will differ depending on the visa type:
• Tourist visa single entry 50 USD
• Tourist visa multiple entry 150 USD
The visa fees are not refundable even if your application is rejected. You have to pay your Guatemala visa fee online. Note that the embassy will accept no personal cheques
Guatemala Visa Requirements
Following the Guatemala visa policy, you will need to produce the following documents when you apply for the visa.
• Your passport should be valid for six more months from the Guatemala visa application date
• Scanned copies of your passport showing your personal information page
• A passport-size picture. The picture should only have a white background. The immigration office will reject other colors
• You will need to get a Yellow Fever Certificate after receiving the vaccine
• You will need to have a return-flight booked ticket
• Those who apply for a diplomatic, service/courtesy visa will need an official Appointment or Nomination Letter
Below are the Guatemala visa requirements for the different types of visas.
Guatemala Transit Visa Requirements
If you are on transit through Guatemala and ask yourself, do I need a visa for Guatemala? Then the answer is yes, you do.
Here are the documents required to apply for a Transit Visa If you are going to transit through Guatemala.
• A passport-size picture with a white background
• Scanned copy of your passport's information page
• Yellow Fever Certificate. If traveling from yellow fever affected regions
• Airline ticket showing proof of onward travel
• Visa to the third country, if you are required to have one
• Latest bank statement
Guatemala Business Visa Requirements
If you plan to travel to Guatemala for business, you will need a business visa. The following documents are required when you apply:
• A signed invitation letter from a resident company or organization in Guatemala which you will visit. The letter should be written on the organization's letterhead, show the purpose and length of your visit and your full names
• Letter from your employer. The letter should state the reason for your travel and assurances for financial support (if applicable)
• Travel insurance providing comprehensive insurance cover for the length of your stay in Guatemala
• Latest bank statement
Guatemala Tourist Visa Requirements
For a Guatemala tourism visa, you will need to have the following documents.
• Provide evidence of accommodation, such as a hotel reservation
• If you are staying with friends or family members, you will need to show a letter of invitation
• Latest bank statement
Guatemala Work Visa Requirements
If you travel to Guatemala for work over a long period, you need the following documents when applying for a work visa.
• A written job offer from an organization in Guatemala
• Police records from the applicant's country of residence
• A copy of the marriage certificate or birth certificate verifying that they have ties to a citizen of Guatemalan
• A request that was made to the Guatemalan Ministry of Labor in writing
• A copy of the applicant's temporary visa or residency visa or proof of a pending visa application
Guatemala Visa Processing Time
According to Guatemala's official website, the processing time for a Guatemala Visa is approximately 3-15 working days. This time is, however, only for the applications made at the Guatemalan embassy. If you choose to apply through a visa application agency, the processing time may differ by a few days.
Before making plans for your visit to Guatemala, find out about the visa rules and laws. By doing so, you will ensure that you have no troubles with the immigration officers at the port of arrival. Also, look into your security when traveling into the country.
Guatemala is a beautiful country full of untouched nature and beautiful beaches. The government has done an excellent job by making the visa application process easy, favoring tourism in the country.
Judith is a Kenya based writer. Writing is her passion. She is the consummate professional with boundless enthusiasm. With a style that is spare and to the point, she delights in presenting facts accurately but also strives to lead readers into unknown worlds, worlds filled with ideas to explore and information to digest. Impossible meets the achievable, as she takes any challenge presented and makes sure that nothing is left to chance.